Looking to add a birding feature to your outdoor holiday decorations? Look no further! This DIY Holiday Bird Seed Wreath using Lyric’s Cardinal Mix is the perfect way to offer a winter snack to your favorite backyard birds.
Watch our DIY Holiday Bird Seed Wreath instruction video below:
- Bundt pan
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 2 packets plain, unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 ½ cups of flour
- ⅓ cup of light corn syrup
- 5 cups of Lyric Cardinal Mix (or your favorite Lyric Wild Bird Food)
- First, spray your bundt pan with a non-stick cooking spray to ensure your wreath doesn’t stick to the pan.
- In a large bowl, add a cup of warm water and whisk in 2 packets of unflavored gelatin until fully dissolved.
- Next, stir in the flour to start making your paste. When fully mixed, add the light corn syrup and be sure to fully distribute it into the paste. Watch out, it’s going to get sticky!
- After that, slowly stir in the Cardinal Mix, until all seed is fully coated in the paste.
- Once fully coated, start to add your mixture to the bundt pan. Halfway through, press down on the mixture to ensure that it is tightly packed together and won’t easily fall apart. Repeat the same process, and finish by pressing on the wreath again to fully compact it.
- Once completed, wait at least 24 hours to remove your wreath from the pan so it has plenty of time to completely dry. Once dry, flip and remove from the pan. Finish your wreath with a decorative ribbon that you can then use to hang from your favorite tree or shepherd's hook!
Lyric Cardinal Mix is our best bird seed for this mix, as it will attract a winter favorite, the Northern Cardinal, as well as jays, grosbeaks, nuthatches, titmice, chickadees, and many more! The high-quality ingredients will keep your backyard birds well-fed in the cool months of December.